Shawn Miller from the World of Outlaws sent out a poll to their media members on who they felt would finish in the top five in points and win the Kings Royal, Knoxville Nationals, and Williams Grove National Open. The votes will be tallied in February, but I will share my picks and the reasoning behind them.
My picks to be the top five in points for the 2013 World of Outlaws season…
1. Sammy Swindell: If Swindell and new crew chief Brian Bloomfield can get in a groove and stick together through the grind of the World of Outlaws season look for them to end up with a championship. When Bloomfield was with Jason Meyers they had their own chassis and engine program. Swindell is an independent thinker and I could see this combination being one of the best on the tour. After running the full tour last season after doing a partial schedule the past few seasons Swindell should be back in the groove to make a run at the title.
2. Donny Schatz: Look for Schatz to start out consistent and finish the same with some big wins along the way. Tony Stewart Racing’s deep resources show up as the season goes on combined with Schatz’s talent will mean another good season on the tour, but I just could not pick them over the Swindell/Bloomfield combination.
3. Craig Dollansky: Dollansky also has plenty of resources to make it through the grueling World of Outlaws tour and always starts out well. Overall I feel Dollansky might fall off during the West Coast grind to the third spot.
4. Steve Kinser: Kinser will be consistent, win some races, and will score another top five finish in the point standings.
5. Joey Saldana: I think Saldana combined with the Dan Motter team this year can land in the top five, but needs a full season or two before becoming a championship contender.
The winners of the big races will be…
Kings Royal: Joey Saldana is my pick to win the Royal. Saldana is so good at Eldora and even though he has suffered a couple of brutal crashes there that required some hospital time, Saldana has bounced back to run well at the Big E.
Knoxville Nationals: Sammy Swindell will finally break his dry spell of 30 years to win the Knoxville Nationals. He will celebrate by giving bus rides behind the grandstands until sunrise on Sunday morning (ok, probably not the last part).
Williams Grove National Open: Paul McMahan will score the win for the Clemens team on their home turf. McMahan runs well at the Grove and has really hit his groove with the CJB Motorsports. Look for them to score wins all over the country including the Open.
Who do you feel is going to land in the top five in the Outlaw points and win these three major events? Visit our Facebook Page to let us know who you feel will land in the top five and win these three major events?