- Kalamazoo Speedway, in business for 64 years, is facing some adversity courtesy of a the Alamo Township Board that wants to implement an 82 decibel noise limit and other restrictions on the Speedway. There is a township board meeting tonight at the Alamo Township Hall located on 7901 North 6th Street in Kalamazoo, MI. Make sure to attend and support one of the best short track facilities in the country.
- After Donny Schatz decimated the competition on Friday and Saturday at Bubba Raceway Park many industry pundits are already waving the white flag of surrender. I feel its too early to do so, but this weekend just reenforced the fact that Schatz will continue to be in championship form for 2013. While the Bubba Raceway Park fields were deep, not all of the World of Outlaws teams were in attendance. With the races at Ocala being sanctioned by the All Star Circuit of Champions some of the Outlaw teams could experiment more with setups and such without having the implication of points. It will be interesting to see what other contenders emerge at Volusia.
- Another promising factor from the Ocala weekend was the lack of flat tire cautions on Saturday after the track went extremely dry slick for the feature. Thankfully their were minimal cautions with no fuel stop. Hopefully that trend continues for the remainder of 2013.
- Butch Dowker’s condition has improved in the Intensive Care Unit at Sparrow Hospital in Lansing, Michigan. Dowker is off the ventilator and spoke a few words. Visitors are not allowed at this point, so well wishes can be sent to Dowker Engines at 502 Island Hwy Charlotte, Michigan 48813.
- Veteran Midget Car driver and Rumble Series competitor Rich Corson suffered a heart attack and is in Palos Hospital in Illinois. Here is an interview Corson did on Wednesday night before his heart attack.
- Open wheel fans will have several drivers to keep an eye on during the ARCA Re-Max Series event at Daytona International Speedway on Saturday with Caleb Armstrong, Chad Boat, Drew Charlson, Ricky Ehrgott, Tom Hessert, and Kyle Larson appearing on the entry list.
- The 2013 Lucas Oil Empire Super Sprints schedule was announced this weekend. One race that was announced before the schedule was released is the first pavement event in the history of ESS. Asphalt Assalt. Evans mills speedway in Evan Mills, NY will be the host of the non-point special event on their 3/8 mile oval track. ESS officials have worked with teams to develop specific rules for the event to keep the cars as close to dirt configuration as possible. The feature will pay $2,000 to win and $500 to start. With ESS in action the night before at Mohawk International Speedway officials hope to draw plenty of cars for this one time special event.
- The Florida Open Wheel action during Speedweeks diversifies this week with the opening event for the United States Auto Club National Pavement Midget Car Series at New Symnra Speedway. The New Symrna website has an entry list posted courtesy of USAC of 25 teams. Kyle Hamilton is slated to drive a second entry for RFMS Motorsports, second generation driver Ross Rankine and Kyle O’Gara team up with Bobby Santos III for RW Motorsports, and Riley Emmel and Chris Bell join Rico Abreu on the Keith Kunz Motorsports team. Randy Cabral, Greg Stoehr, and Seth Carlson from the North Eastern Midget Association are also entered for the two day program. Bryan Clauson is not on the entry list by is slated to drive an entry for Bob East and Klatt Motorsports at New Symrna, but does not have a full time midget car ride lined up for 2013 on the pavement.
- Lebanon Midway Speedway is the latest track to jump on the non-wing sprint car bandwagon. With the success of Valley Speedway and the Wingless Auto Racing series Midway will offer non-wing sprint cars on a regular basis for 2013.
- Congratulations to Eldora Speedway for officially sold out their NASCAR Camping World Truck Series event on July 24th. Sold out and Eldora are words I thought would never be said together as some of the Kings Royal and World 100 crowds seemed to be endless in how many people could pack the hillsides.
- With Fremont Speedway, the United Sprint Car Series, and Empire Super Sprints releasing their schedules for 2013 we only waiting on approximately 25 series and tracks that run sprint cars on a regular basis to release schedules to make our master schedule complete.
Category: Notebook |